Onderwater family tandem
Designed by Ronald Onderwater in the Netherlands, this kindertandem is pretty unique in the world of child transport.
Unlike other tandems, the child (or children) are positioned in front of the parent, and so can be kept an eye on while facilitating communication. Also, smaller riders can freewheel independently of the adult’s pedalling, allowing little legs to take a break when they get tired.
As your children grow, or as more come along, it is possible to move the front seats and handlebars backwards and forwards as well as up and down – the kindertandem’s ingenuous rail system makes it highly adaptable in this respect. The steering is, of course, under the exclusive control of the parent, and makes use of a linkage system very similar to that of our bakfietsen.
When not being used as a child carrier, the front saddle and handlebars can be removed. With the addition of a box, basket, or crate, the Onderwater is transformed into a practical and heavy-duty cargo bike. In terms of carrying even more cargo, the sturdy rear rack can be fitted with an extra child seat, or a set of panniers (for things like shopping).
The durable powder coated paint job works alongside the stainless steel hardware to protect the bike from the elements, and to ensure that it retains a high resale value when the time comes to pass it on.
Parents who own Onderwater tandems rate them as amongst the best investments they’ve ever made. Spending quality, active time with their children in the open air is much more of a bonding experience than a car journey, and children love it because of the sense of participation. Every ride is an adventure on an Onderwater kindertandem!
The improvements that have been made to the original design include:
– a longer seat post for child pedallers, so the age/height range of the stokers has increased
– a stronger, and more protected chaincase for the bike’s second chain
– an automatic chain-tensioner for the bike’s second chain
– the adult’s seat tube and steering column are now angled so as to be more ergonomically appropriate for a wider range of people
– lighter overall weight
- Red powder coated paint job
- Schwalbe Marathon tyres
- Premium Shimano Nexus 8-speed hub gears
- Shimano hub dynamo powering front and rear lights
- LED front & rear lights with standlight function
- Hand-operated Shimano IM81 rollerbrakes
- Stainless steel mudguards
- Selle Royal saddles
- Hebie bi-pod parking stand
- AXA ringlock
- Ryde ANDRA 40 rims (black) with 13g stainless steel spokes
- Extensive use of stainless steel hardware used throughout
For pricing see: Onderwater Tandem Pricing 2017